Wednesday, September 26, 2007


TAARABT SPEAKS TO THE "DAILY MAIL"
The street fighter who wows the White Hart Lane crowds - is this the next Zidane?
By DANNY GRIFFITHS

Adel Taraabt has revealed he wants to become the new Zinedine Zidane by hitting the heights with Tottenham.
The skilful French teenager has already sent pulses racing on the White Hart Lane terraces with his entertaining cameo performances
And he has promised to carefully nurture and develop the abilities which have marked him out as a special player since he was a boy.
"I love getting the ball and running at people," Taarabt told the Hotspur magazine. "It started when I was playing in the streets in Marseilles, I have always attacked.
"The supporters love it and that's what I try to do when I come on. I wasn't nervous playing when I played against Chelsea. I was stunned and excited. I got given a nice welcome when Claude Makelele made his first tackle on me."
Taraabt can play across midfield but believes his best position is attacking just behind the two strikers. "It's not my position on the left," he added.
"But if the coach asks me to play there then I will give 100 per cent. I think I've got good technique. I play with both feet but my heading skills are not the greatest. I am not too keen on defending but my strongest point is dribbling and taking people on.
"I have to please the fans, otherwise I am in trouble. Playing with the team always helps improve your confidence and now it's up to me to show that I am worth a starting place."
Taarabt joined Spurs on a permanent move from Lens in the summer after being with the French club since he was 11.
"I didn't know much about this club, but I did know Spurs were one of the top five teams in England," said Taarabt, who has represented France at under-16, under-17 and under-18 level.
"I had heard of Damien Comolli, who contacted me. I spoke to Chelsea and Manchester United, but I am realistic. I thought I could develop quicker at Spurs. In France, it is like a chess game, with far more tactics, but here it is more open, very fast."
And he said of the suggestions he can become the new Zidane, who also grew up learning his unique football skills on the streets of Marseilles: "I am hoping to become that but it is my agent's opinion. Other people have said this as well. I just want to reach that level."

No comments: